FIFA Yet to Rule on Nigeria DR Congo Eligibility Dispute

 

NFF spokesperson Ademola Olajire addresses media on FIFA eligibility protest against DR Congo at federation headquarters


World soccer governing body FIFA has not issued a verdict on Nigeria’s protest against the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) over the alleged use of ineligible players during a World Cup qualifier, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) confirmed on Monday.


Officials from the NFF moved to dismiss widespread online speculation and social media reports that claimed a ruling had been made. The federation stated that no official communication has been received from FIFA in Zurich regarding the dispute .


“There is no decision from FIFA at this time. Any claims that a ruling has been made are false,” said Ademola Olajire, NFF’s Director of Communications. He added that FIFA has not communicated any verdict to either the NFF or the Congolese football federation (FECOFA) .


The clarification follows a day of intense anticipation in Nigeria, where fans awaited a potential decision that could revive the Super Eagles’ hopes of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup. The NFF warned that fabricated documents circulating online, including those purporting to show FIFA awarding Nigeria a 3-0 victory, should be disregarded .


The dispute stems from an African play-off match last November, where DR Congo defeated Nigeria in a penalty shootout, ending the Super Eagles’ qualification path . In December, the NFF filed a formal petition with FIFA, challenging the eligibility of several DR Congo players .


At the center of Nigeria’s complaint are six DR Congo players, including former England youth internationals Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Axel Tuanzebe. The NFF argues that under Congolese domestic law, which largely prohibits dual citizenship for adults, some players may have retained European passports without properly renouncing their previous nationality .


NFF General Secretary Dr. Mohammed Sanusi explained the federation’s position. “As far as FIFA is concerned, once you have the passport of your country, you are eligible. But our concern is that FIFA may have been deceived into clearing them,” Sanusi told media .


The federation suggested that FECOFA may have provided incomplete or misleading documentation when seeking FIFA clearance for the players in question, which reportedly hold citizenships in countries such as Belgium, England, France, or the Netherlands .


DR Congo has rejected Nigeria’s claims and urged the Super Eagles to accept the result on the pitch. Hérita Ilunga, Director of Football for the Congolese FA, stressed that FIFA’s definition of sporting nationality, not domestic citizenship law, governs player eligibility .


In a social media post, the Leopards framed Nigeria’s petition as an attempt to overturn the result through legal means. “If you can’t win on the pitch, don’t try to win from the back door. The World Cup has to be played with dignity and confidence, not with lawyers’ tricks,” the post read .


FIFA has the authority to investigate allegations of document falsification. If wrongdoing is confirmed, potential penalties could include player bans, match forfeitures, or expulsion from competitions . However, the global body typically relies on passports and submitted documentation to determine eligibility at the time of clearance.


For now, the matter remains under review by FIFA. DR Congo is currently scheduled to compete in next month’s intercontinental play-offs in Mexico, facing either Jamaica or New Caledonia for a place in the 2026 World Cup . The tournament will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.


NFF President Ibrahim Gusau stated the federation is waiting for a response. “We are still waiting to hear from FIFA. We are hopeful, by the grace of God,” Gusau said . Sanusi added that the NFF believes it has a valid case. “If we knew we didn’t have a chance, we wouldn’t have petitioned. That is our submission - it is now left to FIFA to decide,” he said .


The NFF has pledged to provide updates only when it receives official communication from FIFA and has cautioned the public against unverified reports .

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post