FIFA Nigeria DR Congo World Cup Ruling

 


Nigerian and DR Congo football players competing in World Cup qualifying match November 2025


ZURICH - FIFA is expected to announce its decision today on a formal protest by the Nigeria Football Federation challenging the eligibility of players fielded by the Democratic Republic of Congo in a World Cup qualifying match.


The world football governing body will rule on a complaint filed December 15, 2025, alleging that several Congolese players were ineligible to participate in the African playoff final last November .


Nigeria lost that match 4-3 on penalties in Morocco, ending the Super Eagles' chances of automatic qualification for the 2026 World Cup, which will be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico .


The Nigeria Football Federation claims that up to nine Congolese players who recently completed nationality switches should not have been cleared to play . Nigerian officials argue that Democratic Republic of Congo's domestic laws prohibit dual citizenship, making some players ineligible despite holding valid passports .


NFF General Secretary Dr. Mohammed Sanusi has maintained that the federation possesses strong evidence to support its case.


"We have a good case. We do not venture into what would be an exercise in futility," Sanusi told reporters ahead of the ruling .


The protest specifically names players including Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Axel Tuanzebe, with Nigerian officials alleging that FIFA was misled into clearing them .


"If FIFA rules in Nigeria's favour, the Super Eagles could be reinstated into the six-team intercontinental playoff scheduled for next month in Mexico . The winner of that playoff will claim one of the final berths in the 2026 World Cup.


Officials from the Democratic Republic of Congo have rejected the allegations. Some critics have accused Nigeria of attempting to win through legal means what it could not achieve on the pitch .


The case has drawn attention to the role of Confederation of African Football Secretary General Veron Mosengo-Omba, a Swiss-Congolese national who previously worked at FIFA and maintains close ties to FIFA President Gianni Infantino .


African media reports suggest that Congolese officials are relying on Mosengo-Omba's influence within FIFA to protect their team's qualification .


Nigeria's National Sports Commission Chairman Shehu Dikko has expressed confidence in a favorable outcome but acknowledged the possibility of further legal action.


"It requires a lot of things, and by the time it is finally decided, whether Nigeria wins or DR Congo wins, I believe the case might even go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport," Dikko said .


Both nations have indicated they may appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if dissatisfied with FIFA's ruling .


The dispute centers on FIFA's regulations regarding nationality switches. Players may change international allegiance only once through a formal process approved by the governing body .


Nigeria argues that the Congolese Football Federation misrepresented facts about player nationality status, particularly given domestic laws in the Democratic Republic of Congo .


The timing of the ruling carries significant weight. The intercontinental playoff is scheduled for March, leaving little room for delays or appeals before the final World Cup lineup must be confirmed .


Nigerian fans have maintained pressure on social media since November, keeping the issue visible as FIFA reviewed the complaint .


Super Eagles midfielder Alex Iwobi reflected the cautious optimism of players and supporters ahead of the decision.


"We are still waiting; hopefully we can go to the World Cup," Iwobi said .


The Democratic Republic of Congo has not appeared in the World Cup since 1974. Victory over Nigeria in November had revived hopes for the Central African nation before the protest was filed .


If Nigeria's appeal is rejected, the Democratic Republic of Congo will advance to the intercontinental playoff against the winner of Jamaica versus New Caledonia .


FIFA has treated the case with what sources describe as exceptional caution, aware that any decision may set a precedent for how the organization handles eligibility disputes involving complex nationality laws .


The governing body's ruling today will determine whether one of Africa's most popular football nations can keep its World Cup hopes alive through legal channels .


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post