United States President Donald Trump is expected to meet with his top national security advisers on Tuesday to examine military options concerning Iran, according to a report from Axios.
Citing two U.S. officials, Axios reported on Sunday that Trump would convene the meeting in the White House Situation Room. Reuters relayed the Axios report but noted it could not immediately verify the information independently.
The meeting comes at a time of heightened tension between Washington and Tehran. Negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program have stalled, and the Strait of Hormuz remains disrupted. Multiple U.S. media outlets have reported that Trump’s frustration with the deadlock has been growing.
Officials familiar with the planning say the meeting will include Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Dan Caine.
Aides have indicated that Trump is leaning toward some form of military action designed to increase pressure on Iran and force concessions on its nuclear activities. One option reported to be under review is the restoration of “Project Freedom,” a previous U.S. Navy operation that guided commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz to ensure maritime security. Other possibilities include strikes on strategic sites inside Iran.
No final decision has been announced. The White House has not publicly confirmed the agenda or detailed which specific military options will be presented. Axios reported that Trump may wait until after his planned trip to China later this week before deciding on any military action, while continuing to use the threat of force as leverage in talks.
The current standoff follows months of failed diplomatic efforts. A fragile ceasefire between the two countries has been described by Trump as being “on massive life support.” Iran has rejected proposals that would require it to give up key elements of its nuclear program, and the United States has maintained a naval presence near the Strait of Hormuz to counter Iranian disruption of shipping lanes.
The International Atomic Energy Agency said in March that it had no evidence Iran was building a nuclear bomb, contradicting some administration claims. Still, Trump has insisted that Iran cannot be allowed to possess nuclear weapons capability and has pointed to the possibility of using military force to prevent it.
Global energy markets have already reacted to the uncertainty. Oil prices edged higher in Asian trading on Monday as traders factored in the risk of further instability in a region through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil supply passes.
The meeting will be closely watched by European and Middle Eastern allies. Britain, France, and Germany have urged both sides to return to negotiations and avoid military escalation. Regional governments, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, have privately expressed concern about the consequences of renewed strikes on Iran for their own security and energy infrastructure.
The United States and Iran have not had formal diplomatic relations since 1980. Recent back-channel talks mediated by Oman and Qatar have produced no breakthrough. A senior European diplomat told the Financial Times last week that the window for a negotiated solution was narrowing rapidly.
Trump’s national security team has been split on the question of military action. Some Pentagon officials have cautioned that even limited strikes could draw the United States into a broader conflict, while others argue that failing to act would signal weakness and allow Iran to advance its nuclear program unchecked. The Axios report did not identify which advisers hold which positions.
The Situation Room meeting is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, though the exact time has not been disclosed. No press briefing has been announced for after the session, and it remains unclear whether the White House will release a formal statement on any decisions reached.
