President Donald Trump has signed an order extending United States sanctions against senior members of the Belarusian government for another year. The move, recorded in the U.S. Federal Register on May 22, 2026, prevents the measures from expiring on June 16, when they were due to lapse.
The White House document states that the conduct of certain Belarusian officials continues to represent an unusual and serious threat to U.S. national security and foreign policy. The order does not name individuals, but the restrictions apply to those accused of undermining democratic processes in Belarus.
The sanctions were first introduced in 2006 under President George W. Bush. At that time, the measures targeted officials accused of weakening democratic institutions in the country. In August 2021, President Joe Biden signed a further decree that broadened the criteria used to place individuals on the sanctions list.
The formal Federal Register publication is expected on May 26, 2026.
The extension comes at a complicated moment in U.S.-Belarus relations. While leadership sanctions remain in place, the Trump administration has been quietly easing pressure on Belarus in other areas, in parallel with a diplomatic push to free political prisoners.
In March 2026, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko freed 250 prisoners, the largest single release so far, in return for a further reduction of U.S. sanctions. The releases followed talks in Minsk between Lukashenko and John Coale, a Trump-appointed envoy overseeing the negotiations.
As part of that deal, the United States removed sanctions from Belaruskali, the Belarusian Potash Company, Belinvestbank, the Development Bank, and the Belarusian Finance Ministry.
In late April 2026, with U.S. support, Belarus also released Polish journalist Andrzej Poczobut, along with two other Polish citizens and two Moldovan nationals.
Coale is expected to return to Minsk soon for further negotiations. Belarus and Washington have held at least four rounds of talks since June 2025.
Belarusian human rights group Viasna has recorded more than 1,100 political prisoners still held in the country.
Coale said he expected all remaining political prisoners to be freed by the end of the year. If that happens, the U.S. would look to remove all sanctions tied to the crackdown on protests that took place in 2020.
Belarus has been under growing international pressure since Lukashenko violently suppressed mass pro-democracy demonstrations after a disputed presidential election in 2020. Western governments responded with sanctions and diplomatic isolation. The situation worsened in 2022 when Belarus allowed its territory to be used as a staging point for Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
The Trump administration's approach marks a clear shift from the policy of his predecessor. The Biden White House sought to deepen Belarus's isolation and expand sanctions coverage. Trump's team has instead pursued direct talks with Lukashenko, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, producing a series of prisoner releases in exchange for targeted sanctions relief.
Trump's envoy Coale told reporters that if no political prisoners remained in Belarus, the U.S. would consider a broad removal of sanctions against the country, calling such an outcome a fair trade.
The renewal of leadership sanctions signals that Washington is not fully lifting pressure on the Lukashenko government. At the same time, the diplomatic track suggests the two sides are building toward a possible broader deal, contingent on further prisoner releases.
No official response from Minsk had been issued at the time of publication.
